My Yoga Challenge

Good afternoon everyone. It is a dark rainy day here. It is the perfect day to just sit on the couch all day and watch bad t.v.

A little update from yesterday’s issues- The meds seem to be making the hives angry and it’s taking more and more Benadryl to get them to temporarily go away. Not to throw a pity party or anything but it REALLY sucks.

After I posted last night, I was in blog-land and I read Courtney’s post about her June Yoga Challenge

This could not have come at a better time! I have been setting yoga goals for myself anyway, and now with my doctor’s recommendation I certainly need so start putting my $$ where my mouth is. Basically the challenge requires you to set unique goals for yourself in an effort to incorporate more yoga into your weekly workout routine.

My personal goals are:

• Take at least one yoga class at the gym
  • Incorporate yoga into my workout routine twice a week.

I am very excited to have something to hold me accountable for my yoga-ing! Great idea Courtney!

I plan to use a Jillian Michaels’ Yoga Meltdown video. I am hoping that because it’s Jillian, it will be aggressive and not too slow and crunchy-granola-y. Does that make any sense?

source

Question

Should I buy a yoga mat or can I just do it on the floor or carpet? I really have no idea lol

Do you have a favorite yoga video?

What do you look for in a good instructor?

• topshelfbreakaway June 2, 2012, 2:07 pm

You don’t HAVE to buy a yoga mat but I prefer to use one. Just don’t wear socks because the purpose of the mat is so that you won’t slip. My carpet is not always 100% clean and I get linty very easily due to my cats :) so I use my mat on the carpet. Also– Bob Harper’s yoga warrior DVD is my fav. I picked it up on his site during a $5 sale he had! I love me some Bob! I’ve done some of Jillian’s other DVDs and she makes you work hard, haha. You’ll have to let me know Jillian’s yoga one is!

• Courtney June 2, 2012, 4:58 pm

Thanks, Katy! Love your goals for the challenge – good luck! :)

• Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy June 2, 2012, 6:32 pm

I just posted about this today too :)! I did Jillian’s yoga workout twice this week, and it is tough! I have a yoga mat, but I know that you can use a beach towel or rug if you don’t have one. They do have affordable mats at Target and Wal-Mart!

• greenmountaingal June 3, 2012, 3:40 am

Good luck with your challenge! I have a yoga mat and would definitely recommend investing. I have taken different kinds of classes all over the country and Jillian’s video kicked my butt so for that you’ll definitely love it. In terms of the breathing and stress management thing though a crunchy granola(ish?) beginner video or class might be beneficial. You wouldn’t burn as many calories but I can’t even tell you how different my workouts became after I learned how to breathe properly and yes, I totally felt silly doing it but now I’m so thankful! Just a suggestion:)

• savorlifesflavors June 3, 2012, 8:46 am

I appreciate the tips. Many people have commented about how different their other workouts have become since they learned to breath properly. I hope I see the same results :-)

• Michelle June 3, 2012, 11:01 am

The Jillian Michaels yoga video is the only one I’ve tried and liked (granted, I’ve only tried maybe 3). She is definitely a little more intense than other yoga DVDs and I end feeling relaxed, yet like I got a good workout in.

• savorlifesflavors June 6, 2012, 11:28 pm

That has been my complaint about yoga. I never feel like I am doing it right because so much of it is posture and breathing. Hopefully Jillian will make me feel the burn.

• Nerd With Taste January 1, 2013, 9:02 am

Okay so yoga was my new tears resolution… maybe I need to consider this? Do you like it? As in, is it still true to yoga and whatnot? Thanks, nerdwithtaste.wordpress.com