New Hampshire Recap & A Detox Diet

Hey all and welcome to Monday Morning! Nolan and I got back yesterday from our weekend in New Hampshire and we are getting back into the swing of things. If you had a productive weekend away from blog land, here is what you missed:

Beets, They’re Nature’s Candy

Holy Burn Lines Batman!

ABC Data

Here is a quick recap of our weekend trip.

Boating,

fishing,

fires,

and food! One of the highlights of the trip was when Nolan and I went on a hot date for dinner. We went to a local restaurant right on Lake Winnipesaukee called the Town Docks.

The restaurant was gorgeous and it had a beautiful view of the water.

To start I ordered a watermelon margarita because it was the “special” of the day. I had NO idea what I getting myself into.

Who serves a margarita in a BUCKET?! Not that I’m complaining. :-) Nolan stayed clear of the bucket and went for a nice cold beer.

Nolan and I both LOVE seafood and besides the occasional sushi, we never order it when we are out because it tends to be expensive. Since our vacation had been free so far, we decided to splurge! (By splurge I mean we spent $40 on dinner.) After looking over the menu for a bit and sipping on our beverages, we formed a game plan.

To start we shared two cups of soup: Clam Chowder, and Lobster Corn Chowder.

They were both delicious! I am a huge chowder fan, but I hate when it’s runny. These were thick, creamy, and fully of seafood goodness. We decided to split a fisherman’s platter for dinner. It came with shrimp, scollops, clams, haddock, and french fries.

We housed this bad boy in about 10 minutes flat! I pulled as much of the breading off the seafood as I could, not just because of the calories, but to conserve room! If I had to pick a favorite item on this plate I would have to say shrimp. I realize that sounds lame but these shrimp was so thick and flavorful. I think the waitress was getting annoyed because I kept asking for more lemon. Squeezing lemon on seafood is the best way to eat it in my opinion. :-)

It was a fabulous dinner and it certainly constituted a second date.  :-)

****************

I just want to thank everyone for catering to my pity party with all the amazing support and comments. I am being proactive, and getting out of the fat funk! A.K.A Detox Week!

I feel like the word detox gets a bad wrap. So often it is associated with drugs and extreme dieting (I’m not judging!). The actual definition of detox (according to dictionary.com) is “the metabolic process by which toxins are changed into less toxic or more readily excretable substances. ” Exchanging bad stuff for good stuff.

source

I am undergoing this process, not for vanity, but because I feel gross, tired, unmotivated, and sluggish. This weekend I am helping throw Kara’s bridal shower and none of these characteristics are acceptable!

Now by detox I don’t mean I will be on a liquid diet of cayenne pepper shakes and Slimfast. I mean the following:

• No alcohol
  • Limited caffeine
  • Eating whole grains
  • Limit processed foods
  • High fiber foods
  • No eating out
  • No red meat
  • Fresh/ frozen produce
  • Drink lots of water
  • No eating after 9 pm
  • Get plenty of sleep

As Jillian Michael’s says, “If it didn’t have a mother or it didn’t grow from the ground, don’t eat it.”

I also plan on doing some sort of exercise everyday! I don’t care if it’s just walking to the store or doing a few situps. I am getting my butt into gear this week.

Wish me luck!

Town Docks: 10/10 on the Sullivan Scale

What is your favorite type of seafood?

• topshelfbreakaway July 9, 2012, 8:29 am

Hey grrrl! I support your detox as you are “detoxing” the right way….people who detox by drinking grapefruit juice for days or just eating oranges for days are insane. I know people who have done it and it’s like yeah you lost 17 pounds in a week but what do you think happens after that?! Anyway- glad you had a great weekend in NH! To answer your question, my favorite kind of seafood would have to be fried clam strips but I haven’t had them in years! I only allow myself to eat them on very special occasions. Otherwise I love shrimp on the grill!

• savorlifesflavors July 9, 2012, 10:22 pm

INSANE! I would go crazy on a juice diet. CRAZY.
      Fried clams are a great time. You should have Tony treat you to some asap. :-)

• Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles July 9, 2012, 11:08 am

I completely understand your reasons for detoxing- it makes complete sense. You’re just resetting your body to do what you want it to do and what you want it to feel like. I think your plan is great! Totally doable. You can do this!!!!
    A margarita in a bucket- so vacation worthy! :)

• savorlifesflavors July 9, 2012, 10:31 pm

Exactly. I love the way you put it- resetting my body. So far so good! Hopefully by the end of the week I will be feeling good, and fitting into my jeans!

• healthhappinessandharmony July 9, 2012, 12:19 pm

Looks like such a great time! You are totally not alone in how you feel. I went into this summer totally thinking it’ll be a time for me to workout better and eat better, but it seems like everytime we turn around there’s another event or function. I try not to let one indulgence go into another or ruin the meal or day. Every choice makes a difference. :)

• savorlifesflavors July 9, 2012, 10:33 pm

I have been to so many cookouts and parties this summer! I have no self control when there is a table of food in front of me and it’s becoming a serious issue. I certainly need to learn some self discipline. Step one has been eliminating the junk from the house all together. Outside of the house, that’s a different story. Thanks for the encouragement friend. :-)

• healthhappinessandharmony July 10, 2012, 1:07 pm

I have the same problem when out. Inside the house I’m fine, it’s when I’m at a party or barbecue. Something that has worked for me is to choose the healthiest options, and then pick one dinner food or one dessert food that is an absolute favorite to indulge and have a full serving, slice, whatever of. Then, I have one or two bites of whatever else I may really want to try so i don’t feel deprived. At that point, I’m so full anyway, I am really not fulling enjoying more than one or two bites anyway.

• savorlifesflavors July 11, 2012, 11:15 pm

That’s a great plan! If I feel deprived I crave and end up eating way too much. I will try that at my next cookout.