My Pants Don’t Fit

Good  evening all. Hope your Monday wasn’t too terrible.

I have a few things I need to clear up. I was re-reading some of my posts from the last few months, and I realized that there is some insight missing. I’m sure there are some of you who have read all about my diet and think, wow, how does she do it? How does she eat the way she does, not exercise, and stay healthy? HA! The truth is, I can’t, and I don’t want anyone thinking I can.

I am about to throw myself way under the bus.

I have obviously been in a serious fitness rut, mostly because I hate it. I have ran for 3 yrs now and I still hate it. The whole time I’m thinking, “Am I done now?” ” Can I stop?” This combined with my delectable diet has caused me to gain a whopping 10 pounds since June. TEN! Now to some of you, this may not sound like a lot, but for someone like me who is 5’2 on a good day, it’s extreme. I am finally putting a stop to the madness for a few reasons.

• I have two pairs of pants that fit me, and a closet full of pants that won’t button.
  • My thighs hurt after a day of walking in my Ugg boots….That’s a problem.
  • My asthma has not been behaving.
  • Soon people will start asking me when the baby is due.

I am not blaming anyone but myself (except my husband and his unbelievable cooking), and I have come to terms with a few things. I have chosen to live a certain way. Sure I could just make chicken and brown rice every night and have cereal every morning, but where’s the fun in that? Where’s the culinary challenge? Where’s the flavor?

I have chosen to live a life full of food festivals, red meat, full fat recipes, and make your own 6 packs. It’s a life that I love, and I need to start balancing.

So over the past few days I have dusted off my sneakers and hit the pavement. I’m not going to lie, it’s painful! My legs are not happy to be out of hibernation. At least the scenery was pretty. :-)

Saturday: 3 mile run at Cushing

Sunday: 45 minute walk at the dog park

Monday: 4 mile run at Cushing

My calves are KILLING ME, but my body has already began to feel better. I just hope I can stay on track and remain consistent. I’m certainly not changing my diet, only my portions and the frequency of which I eat. Hopefully my pants will fit again in time for Thanksgiving… perfect timing huh? haha

Ok, dinner time!

Do you like to exercise?

What are you having for dinner tonight?

• Courtney [AmbitiouswhenDrunk] October 22, 2012, 6:54 pm

I personally feel the same way about running! I don’t know why I continue to sign up for 5ks and such. I personally love to do yoga, and the elliptical is also my friend. Tonight I had Crockpot chicken stroganoff on top of egg noodles :)

• savorlifesflavors October 26, 2012, 8:27 pm

I love crock pot recipes. They save my butt at least once a week. :-) I really need to get into yoga but I have never been able to appreciate it. I have no core strength.I personally think we are pretty amazing for running when we hate it. It must be so much easier for those who love it. :-)

• mlevine3010 October 22, 2012, 7:54 pm

Good job getting back on track with running :-) its meatless monday for me so mixed greens and a seafood salad sandwich is in my future!

• Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 22, 2012, 9:52 pm

Good for you!! I like to exercise, but I go insane (seriously) if I don’t…it’s my stress reliever!

• savorlifesflavors October 26, 2012, 8:28 pm

It is a great stress reliever. When I do it, I love it, but getting myself to actually do it is so difficult. Sometimes my body is just as stubborn as my head.

• jessielovestorun October 23, 2012, 1:07 am

Way to take control of your situation, and set goals for yourself. You can do it hunnie <3

• Natalie @ Free Range Human October 23, 2012, 9:38 am

Wow, good for you for being so honest. I’m not sure I could be so brave! I do love to exercise, but I should clarify that by saying I hate to run. Seriously hate it.

• savorlifesflavors October 26, 2012, 8:29 pm

I started this blog as a way of holding myself accountable for things. Believe me, I am not nearly this brave in person. It’s much easier to share personal feelings and failures with a computer screen.

• Emily October 23, 2012, 10:09 am

It took me about five years to really fall in love with running. For me, it is a necessary evil. I haven’t been able to run much over the past 2 months and that combined with a not so perfect diet helped me gain four pounds, which I hope to drop quickly since I have been able to run again lately.

• kitkat1126 October 23, 2012, 11:38 am

Great job on getting started again and being honest to everyone on here! I do love exercise, but only exercises that I enjoy! I find walking, hiking, and certain gym classes are so much fun and leave me feeling amazing afterwards. However, if I take yoga or pilates, I find myself wishing the time to go by faster – which makes me less likely to do it or push hard. Maybe instead of focusing on running, you can find an activity you like a bit more, or change it up (sprints, or add running buddies) to make it more enjoyable!

• savorlifesflavors October 26, 2012, 8:31 pm

Yes I really do need to find an exercise I love. Unfortunately with asthma, many activities I hate because they are difficult. I feel the same ways about yoga. It’s never over fast enough.

• Shari October 23, 2012, 11:47 am

I do not like to exercise (except swimming) but I just joined a gym. I hate running so in comparison going on the stationary bike or elliptical isn’t so bad and I’m thinking of trying a group class sometime this winter. I don’t mind walking or jogging so I will probably hit the treadmill a few times just for the variety!

• savorlifesflavors October 26, 2012, 8:32 pm

Ellipticals are great but I have TINY feet so the strides and peddles are always really off for me. I have never done a group exercise before. Maybe that is something I should try. I def need to join a new gym asap!

• kepotts October 23, 2012, 4:03 pm

Way to be honest & take action! I was in the exact same scenario about 4 months ago, 10lbs crept their way on & everything was a little too snug. My problem was with food, not exercise. We’ve all got our lil’ demons. Great job with getting back on track so far!

• savorlifesflavors October 28, 2012, 8:08 pm

Oh I certainly have my demons. I severely lack willpower and it’s something I have been battling for years. I have my ups and downs and I am currently very down, but slowly digging myself out of the hole.

• Laura October 25, 2012, 10:04 pm

I am also no more than 5’2 and understand your pain. My boyfriend is a foot taller and can gain 20 lbs with it looking like 5 and I can gain 5 lbs and it looks like 10. I like the eliptical, no treadmill, and I like running outside but lately to switch things up I’ve taken some exercise classes which are fun. Good luck its all about balance. I party it up on the weekends with drinks and cookout food but on the weekdays eat pretty healthy and exercise. You can do it!

• savorlifesflavors October 28, 2012, 8:10 pm

My husband is 6’4 and he can pretty much eat whatever he wants anyway without it showing. Soooo frustrating. I certainly need to work on my balance and my willpower. One day at a time!