WIAW: Chocolate Chipotle Chili

Happy Hump Day!

Last night was date night for Nolan and I. It was my turn to plan, and I chose a quiet night at home with Chinese take out, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and dessert!  That may not sound like a funtastic date night, but believe me, it was called for:

1. Pretty much every Groupon available is being brought by Santa next week.

2.  We are trying to save a little $$ during this holiday season.

3. Someone forgot she had to bake 3 dozen cookies for her holiday party today.

Enjoy!

What I Ate Wednesday Healthy Holiday Recipes

BREAKFAST:

Pumpkin Peacan oatmeal from Trader Joe’s topped with pumpkin granola!

LUNCH:

Leftover Chocolate Chipotle Chili

We used our standard chili recipe as a base, and added a few new ingredients.

We came across these chipotle ingredients on our latest grocery shopping trip and immediately wanted to incorporate them into our next batch of chili. At the last minute, I decided to add a few tablespoons of cocoa powder to the mix.

chili

The cocoa powder and the chipotle peppers created a really great balance. The cocoa powder thickened the chili and gave it a sexy rich color and texture. The chocolate flavor is very subtle but certainly present. It was definitely a winner!

DINNER:

Everyone has a favorite Chinese food place. Mine is Sabrina Wong III. It may of may not have been shut down by the board of health a few times, but man do they make  incredible Cantonese cuisine!

General Tso chicken, house lo mein, and hot and sour soup.IMAG4265

DESSERT:

Just as fun to make as it is to nibble on!

Another week, another great round of eats!

Song of the Day:

Rob Thomas: New York Christmas

Questions:

What did you have for dessert last night?

• jessielovestorun December 19, 2012, 5:54 am

What a fun, yet simple date night in! The gingerbread house turned out great =)

• HollieisFueledByLOLZ December 19, 2012, 6:15 am

I’m glad someone else thinks the groupons are seriously on top of their game right now. I’ve wanted too or bought 6/7 of the last days LOL. I didn’t actually have dessert last night because I fell asleep super early but I think tonight I’ll go out for ice cream.

• savorlifesflavors December 22, 2012, 9:12 am

NICE! Groupons are so clutch! Lately there have been some great deals on there!

• Lot-O-Choc December 19, 2012, 7:44 am

your gingerbread house looks great! its always sad when you have to demolish it though :(

• Natalie @ Free Range Human December 19, 2012, 9:57 am

Those are my favorite kind of date nights-Chinese food included!

• Blogging Runner December 19, 2012, 10:20 am

Love the house- so cute!

• Eating 4 Balance December 19, 2012, 1:53 pm

I’m making lo mein tonight for family. Hope it turns out looking as good as your takeout!

We made a gingerbread house a few years ago, but never actually got around to eating it. Haha.

• savorlifesflavors December 22, 2012, 9:14 am

Making lo mein??? How? What type of noodles do you use? I am very interested in this recipe!

• livliveslife December 19, 2012, 10:42 pm

Love the gingerbread house! So cute!