Blueberry Scones

I have recently been craving scones for breakfast so after some research I found a reasonable recipe what required many things I already had on hand. AND it has some healthy substitutions!

scones

Now I try my best to use some healthy substitutions when baking, which may be why my baking isn’t always spot on or…um….edible? But I was sooo excited when my subs actually WORKED this time!

The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick) but I substituted with some yogurt and 4 cups of all purpose flour which I substituted half with whole wheat flour.

YUM!

What do you think? Is this something you would try at home? Why or why not?

• Courtney February 21, 2013, 4:43 pm

Those look delicious! I definitely would try them. Greek yogurt is such a superfood. You can use it for anything!

• savorlifesflavors February 23, 2013, 9:54 am

I know it! I’v never used it as a butter substitute before. I typically use it to replace like sour cream or cream cheese. I’m thinking of making another batch with blood orange Chobani and throwing in some cranberries! The possibilities are endless!

• jessiebearwhat February 21, 2013, 4:48 pm

mmmm scones

• countyourveggies February 21, 2013, 10:15 pm

I love scones! During Nemo I had a craving for blueberry scones but my grandmother’s recipe called for Crisco! We didn’t have Crisco or fresh blueberries. I like your healthier version.

• savorlifesflavors February 23, 2013, 9:55 am

I had made scones once before so I knew I could handle it. 🙂 I’m in love with this recipe now because it was just so easy to make and the substitutions were…normal. Sometimes I see recipes that call for these crazy subs that I would never have on hand in the kitchen.

• Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well February 21, 2013, 10:19 pm

Yum! Do you think I could switch out the honey yogurt for caramel Oikos? I don’t have any honey Oikos at home right now 🙁

• savorlifesflavors February 23, 2013, 9:57 am

I’ve never had Oikos before, but as long as the fat content is the same it should be ok. Since you are replacing butter, it’s important that the fat content is similar so the mixture will bind together properly. Let me know how it works out!